Thursday, January 3, 2008

WOOO HOOO!!!

Congratulations Governor Huckabee on a definitive win in Iowa!

Though I can't say I'm surprised. I know Iowa. I went to college there. I have a slew of relatives there. And I knew the good people of Iowa would not be bought. They stand for the middle class, for family values, and for a leader of strong but humble character.

I loved Huckabee's quotation of G.K. Chesterton in his victory speech tonight: "a great soldier fights not because he hates the people in front of him, but because he loves the people behind him." A great contrast with Hillary's aspiration to win over Democrats, Independents, and "Republicans who have seen the light." The American people are sick of the partisanship, and ready for someone who will bring them together. Huckabee is the only candidate of either party who is credible in promoting "vertical politics" instead of partisanship. Even my die-hard liberal grandmother admires him for that.

Now the big test: can Huckabee pull off a second win among the pre-super-Tuesday states? This is absolutely necessary to prove he isn't just a one-state wonder who is completely dependent on a high concentration of Evangelical voters. My money, if I were a betting person, would be on pulling this off in South Carolina, but Michigan is another good possibility (and makes the latter point better) because he can tap into their economic angst unlike any other Republican candidate. We shall see! (And no, I don't have any real money on it, unless you count my campaign contributions. ;-)

But tonight, kudos to all Huckabelievers! As the pundits are acknowledging, and our man Mike, we showed the nation that politics as usual is not inevitable, and the true grassroots are more alive and powerful than ever.

2 comments:

James H said...

gI so agree. I thought and posted tonight how that Chesterton quote was so good in so many ways

Anonymous said...

Did you see that Mark Shea of Catholic Exchange also quoted G.K. Chesterton (the day before the Iowa Caucus) and that he used Chesterton as a means of going against Huckabee. Here's a link to a Catholic blogger who is for Huckabee who responded to Mark's post.
Blog post here!

Go, Mike, Go!